Translate

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

DIE MY WILL: Discography

As promised ... this is the gem I've been working on for the past few weeks.

There aren't many releases from Pin Drop Records that make it to my turntable or CD player any more. The exception to this rule is obviously Die My Will (god knows its not the Polyglot/Fall From Grace split). I used to pick up everything from this label for whatever reason or another and looking back, it was well worth the money I wasted on the Holdstrong 7"s in order to stumble upon Die My Will. There's something about this band that put them years ahead of ANY of their contemporaries; especially within their general area.

Their debut, self-released and self-titled EP came out in 1996 on Drawn And Quartered Records, which was ran by bassist Todd Reynolds. The debut EP contained 8 tracks which would set the tone for what was to come from the band in the future; heavy, unrelenting, downtuned, innovative aggression. Not to be overshadowed, the lyrics of the band were every bit as potent as the music which was being created by this group. Touching on subjects not commonly done within the hardcore scene at the time, Die My Will escaped the monotony of the era in the lyrical department as effortlessly as they did musically. An explanation of the song "Homunculus" was given by lyricist Brandon Debrosky in an interview taken from Hurt Newsletter Zine.

"The song actually has a ton of different meanings and concepts within it. Some that I don't even think I can explain without writing a novel, but I will try to explain it as best I can as quick as I can. The song deals with the commonality of people looking for absolute truths, by which to live their lives. I think that most people, as I do, look for answers to everything in order to gain comfort in life. So we tend to put our trust or faith both consciously and unconsciously into different schools of thought and then disconcern ourselves with other contradictory concepts. Whether it is religion, logic or science, they represent the same thing for me. They are concepts we have constructed to deal with phenomenon that we can't understand without such framework. I think that it's dangerous to focus all of your beliefs on any one concept or idea. This type of thought process seems to lend itself to very close-mindedness. So the concept behind the song is that different truths by themselves may be useless and non-beneficial, but when everything is taken into account and excepted for what it is, together they can help lead to a very healthy and beneficial mindset. So in the song I tried to address this with imagery from different religious and social beliefs. Homunculus is the name of the man that ancient Egyptians believed lived in a person and controlled a persons health and humor. That's the basic concept behind the song"

The follow-up effort was a split 7" release with another CT local by the name of All You've Lost. If you were to listen to the All You've Lost tracks on their own, you would probably think it was considerably good for its time. However, when put up against the two tracks donated by Die My Will, the efforts of All You've Lost become instantaneously stale. The same can be said for the following two comps in which Die My Will took part in. Their tracks on the Call For Unity pt 2 (on Back Ta Basics) and Over The Edge pt 3 (on Endless Fight) render the other tracks worthless. Their contribution to the Back Ta Basics comp was a demo version for what was to appear on the And Still We Destroy full length while the track donated to Endless Fight was otherwise unreleased. A third track was recorded specifically for a compilation which was supposed to be released by Jamey Jasta through his Stillborn Records label which was to be entitled CT Brotherhood. The comp never came out and the track has since been lost, according to reports from band members. The song, entitled Laconic, lives ever-so-fondly in my imagination as one line of lyrics proclaims that we are "suffocation on our own existence" ... I couldn't say it better myself.

Die My Will took things to the next level with the release of their And Still We Destroy full length on the previously-mentioned Pin Drop Records. It was on this release that Die My Will attained legendary status in my mind. Pummeling listeners with the transitions between caveman-esque chug parts and intricate, yet distrubingly eerie acoustic pieces, the band set the standard for heavy in their era.

As with every release, the band managed to one-up themselves yet again with the release of their final recording session in the form of a split with Piecemeal. Everything about this session is ... I don't know ... just disgusting. The low-end presence on the recording is sickening and definitely imitated on the Path To Misery CD. The vocals are gut-wrenching in every sense of the word that I wouldn't use in any other aspect of life. The dissonance and drive of the guitars is surely capable of evoking some sort of inner, primal rage inherent in anyone who is conscious to the world around them. There's not enough that can be said of this final session and band in general.

Sadly the group disbanded not long after this release. As with any great band from their era, the band never received a fraction of the credit in which was due. Even if the band put the recordings out a decade later in which they did (aka now), they would still reign as the heaviest songs known to man. I know that in a previous post I had already labeled Disembodied as the heaviest band ever, but the point is that Die My Will is every bit as legendary as Disembodied amongst this genre; they just never received the credit that was due. I'm hoping that this post will start to reverse this trend if only in the minds of the couple hundred people who read this thing.

As a matter of fact, it seems as though my efforts are being coupled by that of a respectable label who is in talks with the band to collaborate on not only a remixed and remastered discography, but the potential of the recording of some previously unreleased tracks which were written at the same time as the tracks which appeared on the Piecemeal split. If things actually go through as planned, I will be the first one posting about it, rest assured.

Special thanks to Edwin at the One Path blog for the help with attaining several of the more rare Mp3s as well as Brandon from Die My Will who hooked me up with some of the insider information regarding the band (as well as allowing me to call off the search for those unreleased comps, haha). If everything goes as planned with the potential release of this discography on the currently undisclosed label PLEASE do yourself the favor of picking it up as it will contained remixed, remastered tracks as well as the equally relevant lyrics ... and hopefully those previously unreleased tracks which would make my life complete.

I was going to include a text file including all of their lyrics as I feel they were also years ahead of their time (bands STILL don't touch on some of these subjects) but I decided instead to post a link to their tripod-esque website which will serve as quite the trip down memory lane for anyone who simultaneously had the internet and was into DIY hardcore around 1999-2001.

BAND PAGE
DOWNLOAD DISCOGRAPHY

21 comments:

XhcnoirX said...

Love this band, and I sincerely hope that discography will happen, more people need to know about this band. And I'm glad I could help with some tracks.

Awesome write-up btw, really into your style of writing.

Fall From Grace were damn good IMHO... Should post a demo of theirs soon. Hell, most Pin Drop releases are still good in my book, heh, at least the ones I own...

xjustinx said...

Who's supposed to be putting out a discography? I still have a poster for the And Still We Destroy cd.

AJ said...

I was sworn to secrecy.

rjm said...

there is a lot more unreleased material. right before they disbanded, they had recorded a new record which was going to be released on equal vision. the tracks are just sitting there from what i know, gathering dust. i could be very wrong, but there's at least an LP's worth of music that just hasn't been mixed or mastered.
i lived in NH when this band was around and drove ridiculous distances to see them whenever they played. In four years, I probably saw them at least 50 times. Still one of my favorite bands.

chrlz said...

dude i'm a little late on this, but this is killer. thank you. I have and still i destroy, and the split with all you've lost. I had the piecemeal split and I lost it. Just FYI, somewhere in the bowels of my collection, I have the 4 corners 7" comp that was put out by slave union records in like '98 or '99. it has a demo version of the die my will song 10.26.4004. that's the only thing i didn't see on here. This band was so heavy and angry and everything a good metalcore band should be. i saw them twice in MA, once with overcast and piecemeal, once with coalesce, deadeyesunder and aftershock. both of those shows rocked my world forever pretty much. fuck yeah.

Mat Design said...

Wow, thanks for posting! I have been being bothered on You Tube to post songs form the Piecemeal Die My Will Split and it urged me to read up more on Die My Will and see whats been happening with the band since then. It landed me on their wed site, then a few others and ending here. I gotta say, the split was my First Hardcore album, its what got me in to great music because at the time I was listening to Korn's Follow The Leader ritually and some Tool albums. With that said, when I heard Piecemeal, Die My Will, and Converge... I was hooked and havent been back to mainstream metal since. Today I posted the three songs on You Tube from the split album. Check them out, and once again. Thank you.
-Mat

Jeff M said...

Strangely enough this is Jeff from Die My Will here - and while I can't believe I'm saying this - this is the first time even I have had all these tracks electronically. Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together - Brandon and I have talked on more than one occasion about trying to get some of those unfinished tracks out ... take care anyone still reading this thing...

Truths Last Horizon said...

AJ,
Could you post the lyrics or send them to me? The website doesn't exist anymore.

emo furry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I currently live in this bands hometown and grew up in the area. Having seen them live and open up for bands that could not hold a candle to them;I will say this, the hardcore scene was not ready for them. I remember small crowds with mouths open, not bring sure what to make of what they were seeing. The bass player/vocalist played with so much intensity he almost turned purple, his veins easily visible. I have people who when they find out I'm from Bristol CT immediately ask me about DieMyWill and if I got to see them. I answer yes but know that I too did not give them the audience they deserved back then. What's crazy is I listen to Nails and think to myself, this is what DieMyWill was in their infancy, if only they were around now. No disrespect to Nails but DieMyWill was that good and may be the most underrated band in the history of hardcore and aggressive music.

Unknown said...

P.S. how do I post on this sight without coming up anonymous

Unknown said...

P.S. how do I post on this sight without coming up anonymous

Jeff M said...

Hey anonymous ... As the drummer from Die My Will ... That made my day ... We almost got back together this August for a friends 40th ... Maybe for his 50th :-)!

inquisitive blogger said...

Die My Will is sooo underrated I wish More people "in the know" knew about these dudes. that song that is on the four corners comp had me spin kicking people in my six foot two and a half -radius.

a fan said...

uploaded their discog to youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxja6b5v3-4

Unknown said...

Hey Jeff. I just discovered your band not too long ago and I have to say, that this is one of the most heaviest and crushing stuff I have heard from any band. I can definitely hear the passion and sincerity in your music. I hope this is not too much to ask brother, but would you happen to have any Die My Will cds left? I would definitely purchase them from you since it is impossible to find elsewhere. Please let me know when you get the chance. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hey what's up Jeff! I posted a post up above commenting on how I just discovered your band and how brutal and heavy your band was. I wanted to know if you have any cds left from Die My Will in stock specifically and Still We Destroy. If you do please let me know brother, I will glafy buy one from you!

Jeff M said...

Hey I "Unknown" - not sure if you are even ever going to get this - but we do have a couple of discs laying around - what's a good contact email for you?

Unknown said...

wow man, stumbled on this page by chance.. jeff, i remember your fam from st paul and brandon from funstuff/the music shop.. psyched about the vinyl pressing. gimme a shout sometime casketsxx@yahoo.com

Daniel L said...

Jeff M
Would also love to get my hands on some copies of any Die My Will on cd, email me if you have any available. Much appreciated
Dan
Dlamparelli1983@gmail.com

Jeff M said...

Hey Daniel - let me check with Brandon - I think we had what can only be described as a sh*t ton at one point.