Translate

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

TERRA FIRMA: Silence Cries


I'm actually fairly unfamiliar with this band. All I know is that the album is perfect. If I had to sum it up in a comparison ... I would say Strongarm (who goes without mention) meets In Loving Memory (who I did a write-up on HERE). The chant at the beginning of Shatter The Silence ... holy shit (the good kind).

These guys were from Butler, PA and formed from ex-members of Blindside (also from Butler ... not Sweden). As we all know, I have a slight preference towards bands who I feel are legitimately down with JC. I know that the whole christian thing to do is to not judge or persecute or whatever else you want to label it, but that's the best part of being an agnostic who is infatuated with christian hardcore ... I have no problem with sniffing out the bands who are using the label as a means to make a quick buck and calling them on it. I'm down to cast them out of the temple and throw their chickens on the ground, you know? The point is ... Terra Firma (and every other christian band I've met from Butler) have always struck me as intensely passionate about their music and the reason they are creating it. Terra Firma succeeds where most christian bands of today fail in making me want to go up front for an altar call due to the sincerity behind their music and lyrics. Their passion shines through even in the recording of this album..

There's no reason this band shouldn't have been the biggest deal in christian hardcore in their time. As with most western PA bands from their era, they would have shredded the hell (literally and figuratively) out of their contemporaries had they ever been given the label opportunity in which they quite obviously deserved. Its a shame the internet didn't really exist back then to the extent that it does now so that bands like this would have had an even shot at being heard over most of the garbage Tooth & Nail was putting out at the time.

"Every tear he shed, every drop he bled ... it was for you"

DOWNLOAD

9 comments:

AWC said...

First of all, again; thanks for posting this!

I did not know about this band. Maybe heard the name, but didnt know they were this kinda stuff or that they were christians.

I gotta agree with you on that "money making tool"-thing. To me, hardcore (and quite possibly most of the other music as well) means passion and being what one calls "true".

As a christian, I would love to create honest music that represents the stuff I feel I have to say. That might be about ethical living in general and that might be more directly related to my beliefs (though I think words and actions are pretty inseperable from my perspective as a believer).

Also, one thing I think I have already said as well; I love it how you have such an honest and both intellectual (Not like the fancy university type, you know) insights on stuff.

Toxik Boys said...

Good post!!

AJ said...

Thank you, sire. There's more christian metalcore where that came from.

Unknown said...

Awesome. These guys were some of my best friends. Some still are. Butler didn't get a whole lot of respect, but it's a great place. Although, I did move out to CA, but Butler is missed.

Cody James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cody James said...

I have to agree, Terra Firma is one of the best bands I have ever seen live. Ive been to countless shows of theirs, and have actually been given a microphone a few times... They are missed and the butler scene has depleted greatly since they left. I am in a band now and I try to represent what they brought to each show, passion and sincerity.

Unknown said...

I don't know if you'd be interested, but I released the last Blindside album (R.I.P.) on my label at the time - Hope Against Hope Records. That was the only thing that ever came out. I could rip that for you if you'd be interested.

Travis said...

Thanks for the kind words AJ and all. I'm kind of curious as to what the deleted post said though (the investigator in me). I have plenty of copies of the actual Terra Firma CD left if anyone would want a hard copy of the disc. hit me up at travis.furman@gmail.com
and I'll get you one for the cost of the envelope and shipping. I also have the blindside RIP CD, our first self-titled CD, and I recently put together a CD of the two cassettes blindside did (this has explicit lyrics just as a warning - people change). I need to do up a myspace for the blindside thing sometime.

FredCore said...

Great post. I am another agnostic /athiest that has an affection for spirit-filled hardcore.