Translate

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

BURIAL GROUND: Discography


So I am far from an expert on this band but this is something I've been trying to track down for years now on my own. I'm excited enough to finally put this together for myself that I decided to share with all of you.

Burial Ground was a heavy hardcore band from Central PA that was around in the mid to late 90s from what I can put together. Besides having one of the sickest band names, they were also responsible for writing some serious prototypes of what would become the norm for heavy hardcore in the decade after their demise.

While I typically consider myself an expert on most things PAHC releated, I actually never caught wind of this band until I got my hands on the One Hell Of A Compilation by Blasphemour Records roughly 10 years ago. Side note: check out this comp if you can.

Their song, Rebirth, struck me amongst all of the other awesome bands on the comp (Abnegation, Goatwhore, Skinless, Milhouse, Psywarfare, Deadeyesynder, Deformity, etc) because it somehow managed to walk that fine line between the darkness found within metal yet the energy and personality of hardcore. This is finely exampled at 4:54 of the following video.


While I managed to track down Mp3s of the unreleased EP that was never released due to their vocalist's untimely passing on a message board post from the guy who ran Blasphemour Records ... I could never get my hands on the Let Us Pray full length despite being promised at least 5 times from 5 different people that they would get it to me.

It wasn't until this year's This Is Hardcore Fest when I was running my distro and having my usual old guy conversations with the other 20 people in the world who still are interested in obsure hardcore CDs from the past few decades that I FINALLY got my hands on said disc.

I was chatting with a random guy from Buffalo, NY that I somehow have yet to meet and we somehow got on the conversation of the few discs we had both been looking for. I think he pulled out a Dragbody CD and was stoked on it ... which brought us onto Burial Ground conversation (who Dragbody did a split 7" with). As nonchaltantly as anyone has ever said anything to me, the guy says "yeah man, I have like three copies of that ... I'll make sure to get you one."

Like I said earlier, promises of having this album being given to me had been made before so I didn't allow myself to get my hopes up. 15 minutes this awesome, awesome guy comes back with a physical copy in his hands and says "I actually had a copy in my car so you can just have it".

What!?! How is someone that cool?!?

I suppose this has nothing to do with Burial Ground but it's such a cool story and representative of that era of hardcore and the mindset behind it that I had to share.

So here it is ... some of the sickest hardcore/metalcore from PA ... and possibly of all time.

DOWNLOAD: Burial Ground Discography (missing the songs from the Dragbody split if anyone has the Mp3 ... feel free to share).


8 comments:

Unknown said...

This is Ryan from Blasphemour Records. The BG track on the Dragbody split is a different version of Tales of a Soul Gone Mad. If you find me on Facebook, ill get you the MP3 of it.

xBDBx said...

Is there ANY chance at all AJ that you could help me secure a physical copy of the album as well please??? Would be very grateful, my email is bsdeblasi@gmail.com

xBDBx said...

Let me know if there's anything you're looking for AJ as well, might be able to help.

I'd also be willing to pay good money for both CDs.

AJ said...

Hey man ... I'd love to help but it tooks me ten years myself to find one ha!

xBDBx said...

Oh well, MP3s will have to do :P

Unknown said...

I miss these guys. Jamie was the man. They got us a show with them and we drove from Boston to PA to play and they even hosted us for the night so we could crash. I will never forget. Would love to see if anyone has the cover art for Infernal Punishment. I was never able to locate the Dragbody / Burial Ground split.

Every once in awhile I come back and revisit BG and my hardcore days. Still sad about Jamie after all these years. RIP

ToastMan said...

Hello everyone!

I own their cd! Burial Ground's Let us pray. Anyone want a copy?

DaveG said...

I was in Burial Ground, I played guitar on the ep which later became known as Let us Pray and I played on the Tales of a Soul gone mad split 7"

The band was based out of Wilkes Barre PA then later Scranton.

Prozac, Rebirth, Crown of Thorns, Tapping the vein, Clung to the tube, & War were recorded in the summer of 1995 at SI studios in Scranton.

WE received permission from Jello Biafra to record California Uber Alles later that year and went back into the studio in January of 1996 to record it along with Let Us Pray, & Abducted.

Late 96 or early 97 we recorded Tales of a Soul gone mad and an unreleased song named Forever Friends.

After Brian and I quit they became more of a death metal band and had various members, I couldn't even tell you their names.

Fun fact, Brian Quinn the other guitar player currently plays for CandleBox